Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Hotrod-isms

My soon to be 4 year-old son, "Hotrod", has a very engaging smile and wit. His wording of questions and insights delights me. A few examples--

Princess (his older sister - age 7): Do you want fruit punch for your birthday party, Hotrod?
Hotrod: Yeah, that'd be good. [Leaning conspiratorially towards me] Mom, you be the fruit and I'll be the punch! [Followed by laughter at his own joke.]

Hotrod: [During a fit of stuttering] Mom, I just don't speak too good sometimes.
Mom: That's okay. Your brain is just overloading your mouth.
Hotrod: Yeah, my ideas are fighting to get out.

His sister is very perceptive as well, but not usually as verbally expressive. On Sunday, her father was reminding her that once she finished her veggies, she needed to pick up her toys.
Dad: [After several minutes.] Why haven't you finished your vegggies yet?
Princess: Because then I'll have to pick up my toys. If I don't eat my veggies, then I won't have to pick up my toys, right?
Mom: [To Dad] Well, she's figured that one out, hasn't she?

No comments: